Steps On How To Properly Install And Use A Pallet Racking System
Installing a pallet racking system in your warehouse or storage room is a very simple process. However, if you don’t know exactly what you’re doing, you might end up spending more time installing your pallet racks.
If you’re uncertain whether you could install a pallet rack on your own, or if you plan to install a pallet racking system for a huge warehouse, we highly suggest you work with professionals like shelving system installers from Global industrial to get further assistance for every phase of the installation operation.
Preparing Your Storage Space
Before we get into how to properly install a pallet racking system, let us first talk about preparing your storage space.
When it comes to installing a pallet racking system, it’s always good to consider a couple of factors first to ensure the overall safety, effectiveness, and efficiency of the installment process.
Here are a couple of things you should go over before you start installing your pallet racking system:
- Identify the characteristics of your storage room floor. Create a layout for areas where you’ll place stocked goods along with your storage and mechanical handling equipments.
- Find out the specification of your loads, handling equipment, and pallet racks.
- Create a checklist for collision protection
- Organize the installation team and go over every person’s responsibilities
- Make sure the pallet racking system you will use will be installed based on the appropriate seismic demands and configurations of your storage space.
- Choose the correct gauges for supporting your loads
- Choose the appropriate type of racking for maximizing your storage space
- Create an efficient layout for your pallet racks based on the dimensions of your storage space
- Ensure your pallet racking system completely complies with federal, state, and local laws.
- Submit your pallet racking system layout to a licensed project engineer for approval.
- Obtain all necessary permits before starting the installation process
- Check for hazards around your storage space. For example: slab thickness and height hazards.
- Stage all your purchased components so that all things can be accounted for.
- Check for damaged components.
- Mark the floor with your layout to ensure that all components will appropriately fit your storage space.
Installing Your Pallet Racking System
Once you’ve gone over all the preparations for installing a pallet racking system, all you have to do now is follow these simple steps.
Step 1: Install the bays
Following the layout you prepared for your storage space, start with installing the first bay of your pallet racking system. Continue installing the remaining bays one at a time.
When installing your bays one by one, make sure that every bay is squared of from all directions to ensure that every pallet rack is appropriately laid out and installed.
Step 2: Anchor the installed bays
After installing all the bays and ensuring every bay is in its right place, the next thing you should do is anchor all the bays one at a time. However, before you anchor all the footplates, make sure that every bay is completely plumbed first.
Failure to do so might lead you to pulling your rack into a plumb after it’s been anchored. Doing so may only cause rack damage or even personal injuries.
Step 3: Secure rack rows
Once you’ve anchored all your bays, it’s now time to construct your rack rows. Install and secure all back connectors with the right torque code for your pallet rack to secure every rack row.
Step 4: Inspect all sections of the pallet racking system
The final step to properly installing a pallet racking system is inspection. Make sure that every bay has been anchored and all beams are secured. Lastly, check if all the rack installation procedures stated by the manufacturer have been appropriately executed.
Step 5: Install pallet rack accessories
Once everything’s inspected and secure, you may now proceed to add the accessories for your pallet rack. When installing wires or lights, make sure that the wires are fastened to the beams to ensure they won’t shift in between racks.
As for installing crossbars, make sure they will be evenly spaced based on the appropriate weight distribution specifications of your pallet racking system.
A Quick Recap
Well, there you have it! A quick and simple guide on how to install a pallet racking system. Remember, the key to effectively installing a pallet racking system in preparation and following the manufacturer requirements. Doing so will not only help you attain a fast installation process but a faster one as well.
If you’re still unsure whether you could pull off installing a pallet racking system on your own, do not hesitate to ask for professional help. After all, pallet racking systems should be solidly built. Especially since it will be used to store a lot of goods.