The 10 Most Impressive Wooden Structures in the World
A building material that has stood the test of time
For centuries wood has been the most important building material available to the human race. It has been used to make tools, construction aids, wheels, vehicles, ships, and also buildings. Even in modern brick and mortar houses, you will still find wooden roof trusses. Even though wood is susceptible to damage from the environment, some wooden structures can survive intact for centuries with the proper maintenance.
Some of the most beautiful and most impressive structures in the world have been made out of wood. A good number of them are historic, and are still standing. However, wood is making a big comeback as a contemporary building material, because it has a beauty that is impossible to replicate. Here is a list of the top 10 most impressive wooden structures in the world.
- Great Eastern Temple: The Tōdai-ji temple is one of many Buddhist temples in Nara, Japan. It was originally built in the 8th century, and was rebuilt twice after burning down. The current building, dating back to 1709, is 30% smaller than the original, and was the largest wooden building in the world until 1998.
- Globe of Science and Innovation: This impressive building in Switzerland houses the visitor center of CERN. It hosts many exhibitions about CERN’s research, including one about the Large Hadron Collider.
- Tamedia Office Building: Japanese architect Shigeru Ban designed this wood and glass building, which serves as an extension of the Tamedia media company in Zurich, Switzerland. The frame of the building consists entirely of wood, without any steel reinforcement.
- Metropol Parasol: Jürgen Mayer, a German architect, designed this wooden structure which is said to be the largest of its kind in the world. It is situated in the old quarter of Seville, Spain, at La Encarnación square.
- Superior Dome: The largest wooden dome in the world is a domed stadium at the Northern Michigan University. This 8,000 capacity venue hosts regular football matches, and also other events in the off season.
- Treet building: The tallest apartment building made from wood is located in Bergen, Norway. It has a load-bearing structure made of glued laminated timber. It was designed to be a sustainable building project, and is also very energy efficient.
- Villa San Valentino: With Italian style and German design and engineering, this ultramodern house proves that wood is anything but old fashioned. This house in Merano-Alto Adige, Italy, has stunning views of mountains and valleys.
- Tillamook Air Museum: Oregon is home to this aviation museum in Tillamook. The museum is inside a hangar that used to house US Navy blimps. It has the largest span of any wooden structure in the world.
- Kizhi Pogost Church: The Russian Orthodox Church is synonymous with the onion domes of its buildings. Kizhi Pogost in Russia hosts the Church of the Transfiguration, a wooden summer church with 22 domes.
- Bullitt Center: Seattle lays claim to the greenest commercial building in the world. It was designed from sustainable materials to last for 250 years, and generates its own power.
About the Contributor
Apex Window Werks is a commercial and residential window repair & replacement company. Its services include but are not limited to: wooden window restoration, window defogging, broken glass replacement, etc. Visit their website for more details.