Symptoms and Types of Anemia Everyone Must Know
Anemia is the condition in which there is a reduction in the number of red blood cells. This is the reason it is also popularly known as “low blood” condition. There are three types of blood cells- red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Red blood cells have an important function in the body as they carry hemoglobin. It is a complex protein made up of iron molecules. The function of red blood cells is to carry oxygen to all the body parts. When there are not required red blood cells present in the body, people may experience problems such as tiredness or weakness or dizziness.
Symptoms of Anemia
There are many symptoms of anemia from mild to complex. It even requires treating the mild anemia as it can also cause many problems. Some of the symptoms are serious such as organ damage or heart failure. Hemolytic anemia can even cause serious diseases such as Jaundice. It is thus important to take care for any of the conditions that cause anemia. Here is the list of symptoms of anemia.
- Dizziness or lighted ness
- Pale skin
- Numbness or coldness in hands or feet
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Rapid heartbeat with mild exertion
Types of Anemia
There are mainly six different types of Anemia and treatment will depend on the cause of Anemia and its types. Whenever you experience any of the anemia symptoms, then meet Doctor and know if you are having any type of Anemia mentioned below.
- Aplastic Anemia– It is the condition in which bone marrow stops producing the new blood cells. It is very severe and even fatal in some conditions. Cause due to radiation and chemotherapy, exposure to toxins, viral infections, bone marrow diseases, use of drugs.
Some of the symptoms are fever, frequent infection, fatigue, dizziness, headache, skin rashes. It is treated by blood transfusions and bone marrow transplants.
- Iron Deficiency Anemia– It is the most common type of anemia due to iron deficiencies. When there isn’t enough iron, then your body faces problem to intake oxygen. Causes are the lack of iron, blood loss and iron malabsorption. Symptoms include Fatigue, weakness, pale skin, etc. Treatment can be by intake of iron rich foods, iron supplements.
- Vitamin Deficiency Anemia– It occurs due to vitamin deficiency which is subtle initially but gets worse with time. The specific vitamins are lacking in the body which helps to make the red blood cells. It is caused due to lack of vitamin rich diet and as your body cannot absorb the vitamins or nutrients from the food you eat. Some major causes are the poor absorption of folic acid and Vitamin B12. The symptoms are irritability, diarrhea, smooth tongue, etc. Treatment is by taking B12 shots and folic acid supplements and taking other vitamins that are lacking in the body.
- Anemia of Chronic disease– It is caused due to an interference of other diseases in the production of red blood cells. The primary causes are the loss of red blood cells due to diseases such as AIDS, cancer, liver, chronic inflammatory, kidney failure. Treatment is by controlling the underlying condition.
- Hemolytic Anemia– This is a condition in which the destruction of red blood cells takes at the faster rate than the production of new red blood cells. It is of two types intrinsic and extrinsic. Extrinsic anemia is basically autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Intrinsic is due to the production of defective red blood cells in the body.
The causes of Hemolytic Anemia include Autoimmune disorders or medications used to treat the infections. The symptoms are jaundice, fever, dark colored urine, and abdominal pains. If suppose autoimmune disorder is the cause of the treatment then there is a need to suppress the immune system as it is working overtime and destroying the red blood cells.
- Sickle Cell Anemia– Normally red blood cells are in the form of the disc which helps them to travel even in the smallest blood vessels. But due to this disease, they turn into abnormal sickle shaped cells. This results in the blockage of blood from reaching the different parts of the body. Some of the symptoms are painful swelling of the feet and hands, jaundice, and fatigue. Treatment is blood transfusions, bone marrow transplants, etc.
For healthy living, it is crucial to diagnose anemia at the right time. Perform simple blood test for its diagnosis. Anemia is often noticeable as it develops over a period of a long time. By knowing the type of Anemia, take a proper treatment. Mostly, Doctor prescribes iron supplements. But in severe cases, blood transfusions, bone marrow transplants also have to be used. If you are facing any of the symptoms of anemia then take a test at pathology and talk to your Doctor immediately.